I received this trifle bowl last year for Christmas and haven't yet put it to use. Searching for trifle recipes I ran across this one and knew I had to make it for my mom's birthday. It is, simply put, awesome! The perfect combination of strawberries, chocolate and fluffy cream made from cream cheese, pudding and whipped topping, layered with ladyfingers brushed with coffee. Try it and enjoy!
Oh, and yes, it did get rave reviews!
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1 1/4 cups cold milk
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, room temperature, divided
- 2 cups whipped topping (I used homemade)
- 1 (3 ounce) package ladyfingers, split
- 6 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate, grated
- Set aside three strawberries for garnish; slice the remaining strawberries. In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth; gradually beat in 2 tablespoons coffee. Beat in pudding. Fold in whipped topping.
- Brush remaining coffee over ladyfingers. Line the bottom of a 3-qt. trifle or glass serving bowl with half of the ladyfingers. Top with half of the sliced berries, grated chocolate and pudding mixture; repeat layers. Cut reserved berries in half; place on trifle. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
So, I've been a bit behind on the blogging. Well, wait a second, was I ever on top of it?
Anyway, for those few of you that check out the blog here and there I just had to share the recipe that popped up on SmittenKitchen today. I'm pretty sure I know exactly what I'm doing this weekend. It's definitely not going to be the long run and hike I was thinking for Saturday. No, I think these brownies are it. Considering the fact that I love baked goods with spices in them, plus the fact that they are brownies make them look amazing.
I'm probably going to need a few folks to sample them. Any takers?
On second thought, as good as these look I should probably plan in that run! Have a great weekend!